Monday, February 27, 2012

Making almond milk

Happy Monday, well, it's almost Tuesday so I hope you all had a nice Monday.

I wanted to make some almond milk, so I did.

I got almost a pound of slivered almonds without skins.  This made the process much easier.  I didn't have to take off the skins, and since they were already sliced it made blending much easier.

I threw 3 cups of slivered almonds in the blender with 5 cups of water (2 batches.)  I also added dates.  Many recipes called for dates, and they were pretty cheap at Sprouts.  I think I used 5.


I have never had a date before (haha, that sounded funny when I re-read it), and I still can't tell you what one tastes like outside of the almond milk.  Maybe tomorrow I will try, maybe not...

Anyway, the process was pretty simple once I got the hang of the cheesecloth.  I really need a rubber band next time.  All I did was blend and strain.





I strained it twice just to make sure, but I won't swear there isn't one or two bits of ground up almond in there.  Hey, I'm not perfect. 

In the end it made about 30 ounces which is almost a liter and not quite a half gallon.  I put the milk in some recycled vitamin water containers.  Save the planet, save some money!


The cost is a bit more than the store brand (if you pay full price, maybe not that much more) but the quality is much better, and I don't have to worry about all those things I can't pronounce that are in the store bought milk.  Who knows, maybe someday I will see almonds for $2 a pound (in my dreams!)

After I made the milk I had all of this almond pulp left over.  I really didn't want to throw it away, so I made little batches of them and threw them in the dehydrator.  I'm trying to make raw almond cookies.


More on that tomorrow, I'm being positive.

So, the moral of the story is I have homemade almond milk that is not cheaper than from the store, but better for us.  Besides, we don't have milk that often anyway.  It's really there for cereal and for my bread.

With that I leave you with today's picture:


I made jerky, and I'll do it again!!! Wait for it...

-April



No comments:

Post a Comment