Saturday, May 5, 2012

Canning

If you have been reading my blog, you might know that I am in the process of trying to make anything I can homemade (see here for an example.)  Not only do I want to try to save some cash, but I really want to know what I'm putting in/on my body.

Recently my husband told me about a conversation he had with a friend of ours about canned goods.  I won't go into detail, but needless to say, I will no longer purchasing them (I may be a bit over-dramatic, but if you read my last post, you know I like being a grown-up and I can do what I want!) :P

Anyway, I have been wanting to get into canning for some time now, and it seems to be the best time.  I have been all over the Internet learning about it, and it seems I am very close to starting.

I bought a couple cases of jars today and ordered this pressure canner (and got 5% off as well as free shipping using my Target red debit card.  Get one, seriously.) I am SO excited to get this and start canning.

Since we joined the CSA, I am looking forward to trying new things and canning what I like so we can enjoy it when it's out of season.

I think the first thing I will try is canned tomatoes, since we use that most.  I will probably process some seasonal fruit as well.  Let's not forget pickles!  I do love pickles.

So, if you are interested in learning what I am, stay tuned and you can learn with me.

Until then...

-April

No comments:

Post a Comment