Saturday, May 5, 2012

Grown-up Grilled Cheese


I like being a grown-up for a few reasons.  I like living on my own and doing what I want.  I like cooking what I want made from things I bought (I just joined a CSA and I'm super excited!!!). I like working on my budget (hey, I love Excel).  I like working (sometimes), and I like that I can make a normally kid's dinner more adult like.


I have made mac and cheese (not very grown-up style yet) that melts in my mouth, so now I wanted to try a good 'ol grilled cheese.


I frequent this site, and everything I've made from her site I have loved.  I thought I would take her advice and make this killer sandwich.


The idea is pretty easy.  Grill some onions until your mouth waters, throw them on some tasty bread, add a couple pieces of cheese and a top piece of bread and you are ready to go!


The only different think I did with this grilled cheese (besides the super tasty onions) was to use my homemade bread and my new cast iron skillet.  


Let's talk about this cast iron skillet for a moment.  I have been wanting one of these for a long time, and last weekend I was at Bed Bath and Beyond with a $5 off coupon in hand and got one for $15.  I don't know if it was the skillet, or the fact I had sheer luck, but this was the best grilling of a grilled cheese I have ever seen in my kitchen.  Even if it's not the skillet, I'm not changing it up in the future.


Now on the visuals.  This is a whole (yes, I mean whole) yellow onion ready to become heaven:



After about 20-25 LONG minutes (I'm impatient) you end up with golden goodness (I think I might have a problem here)


Take some real butter and throw it in your cast iron skillet for a few seconds before you put a slice of homemade heaven on it then add the cheese onions:


Look at that beautiful butter... add another piece of bread and grill!

Once done, cut it in half so you can see how pretty it is and enjoy!



If you are looking for a great dinner splurge, please try this sandwich.  Maybe you can pair it with a nice soup, or a cocktail.  Your choice, I won't judge!


Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions (adapted from here)


2 tbsp. unsalted butter, divided
1 large yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
Pinch of sugar
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Splash of dry white wine (you can use broth)

4 bread slices
Cheese slices (I used provolone and mozzarella) 



(To make the caramelized onions, melt 1½ tablespoons of the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat.  Add the sliced onions to the pan with the sugar, salt and pepper.  Stir well.  Reduce the heat to medium-low.  Cook the onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and fully caramelized, about 15-20 minutes.  Increase the heat to medium-high.  Pour in the splash of wine and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has cooked off.  Remove from the heat and set aside.)


Assemble and grill sandwiches.  Enjoy immediately.


-April





No comments:

Post a Comment