Monday, May 21, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I finally ran out of my store bought laundry detergent.  After many washes, my large tub is empty.  Normally I would be upset because I knew I would have to shell out anywhere from $10-13 for more detergent, but not today.

I was very excited.  Why, you might ask?!? Well, because I can finally make my own HOMEMADE detergent.  The recipe is simple:

Grind up a bar of soap.  I used Dr. Bronner's Peppermint bar soap.  I just chopped it up a bit and used my food processor to grind it down pretty fine.  I know $4 seems a bit steep for a bar of soap, but I do believe in the brand.  Also, in the end, you get a lot of soap!

1 cup each of washing soda and borax.  I found them both in the laundry aisle.  Please note that washing soda is NOT baking soda, it's this stuff.

Mix all together and use 1 tablespoon per load.  I have used it for 2 loads already, and it smells wonderful.

I'm guessing I'll get about 60 loads out of this, for a cost of about $4.50.  That's .075 a load.  Tide will run you $12 for the about the same amount of washes.  Also, you know what's going in your detergent!

I put my detergent in a liter size mason jar.


I haven't run out of fabric softener, but when I do I have some orange infused vinegar that I am going to start using in the rinse cycle.

I hope that if you try this out you like it.  It's nice to save a little cash for the savings account.

-April

No comments:

Post a Comment