Saturday, May 26, 2012

Waffles for any meal

I'm not much of a breakfast person.  I am not 100% sure why, but I'm sure it is partly because I'm so lazy in the mornings on the weekends and I don't really want to make anything until at least 2pm.

I do love waffles though, and for a while now I have been wanting to get a waffle iron, so I did.  I was at Target the other day and they had a pretty good iron on sale.

Knowing myself I couldn't wait to try it out, but it was dinner time.  Who says you can't have waffles for dinner??  I whipped up these cheese waffles and threw a tasty over easy egg on top.  They were pretty good!


This morning I was thinking about breakfast, and how easy those cheese waffles were to make.  I looked in the refrigerator and remembered that I had tons of strawberries.  I decided on strawberry waffles with strawberry syrup.

I did a quick search online and found some good looking recipes.

First I made the syrup.  It called for a lot of sugar, but this is a treat, so I was ok with that.

See


After cooking the sauce for about 10 minutes I had a very tasty looking topping for the waffles I was about to make.


The waffles themselves were very easy to whip up.  I also liked that there wasn't a lot of sugar involved, especially since I used so much in the sauce.

I added a good amount to the waffle iron


A few minutes later I had a golden waffle with strawberries running all though.


Now let's top it :)


If you like strawberries and waffles, please try this.  They were the fluffiest waffles I've ever had, and they didn't take that long to cook.  Also, they are much easier to make than pancakes...and they are prettier :) 

Homemade Strawberry Syrup from here.

2 cups strawberries
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/4 cup water

Wash the strawberries and remove the stalks
Mash the strawberries to the consistency you want. I threw them in the food processor for about 30 seconds.
In a pot place the strawberries, sugar and 3/4 cup of water.
Bring to a boil over medium low heat, stirring every now and then for 10 minutes
When you have 5 minutes left in the cooking time, dissolve the corn starch in the 1/4 cup of water and add it to the syrup while stirring. This will thicken the sauce and give it a beautiful consistency.
Strawberry Waffles adapted from here.
(this recipe made about 9 large waffles, I froze half.)
2 ½ c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs sugar
2 eggs
2 ½ c milk (I used almond)
½ c vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c chopped strawberries.

Heat the waffle iron.

In a medium bowl, sift the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. When the waffle iron is ready to use, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined. Stir in the strawberries. Do not overbeat.

Pour batter into center of the waffle iron (amount will depend on the size of your waffle iron). Bake until lightly browned. Serve with powdered sugar , syrup and/or sliced strawberries.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

-April

No comments:

Post a Comment